Opened to the public in 2015, the new Parque Botánico-Orquidario is located in the centre of Estepona, in the new central park. Covering more than 1,000 square metres, the modern building with prominent glass domes attracts the attention of people strolling down the Calle Terraza.
Estepona’s Orchidarium boasts more than 1500 varieties of Orchids – it’s the largest collection in Europe. In the centre of the vast plants exhibition there are three huge waterfalls which make you feel as if you were in a real rainforest! Stand on wooden bridge just in front of them to enjoy the refreshing coolness of the intense vapour – best appreciated in summer. There is also nice bamboo forest and other rare subtropical species of plants spread across two floors of the Orchidarium. must see for the flower enthusiasts! The entrance for adults is 3 euros. Remember that the Orchidarium is closed on Mondays.
Recently, beautiful Estepona got some good publicity when it started opening incredible wall arts, one after another, in different parts of the city. Those gigantic wall murals are scattered around different barrios, from bullring to northern parts of the city. At the time of writing there are more than 20 murales artisiticos. It takes about 2 hours walk to see all of the murals. You can download and print a small map online by clicking here, or visit Oficina de Turismo in Estepona to get a bigger map. Have a look below at some examples of the incredible street art in Estepona!
Ruta de Murales Artisticos in Estepona
1. ANGEL EL BUCEADOR (Bda. Tres Banderas)
2. LA CASA DE LA BUENA GENTE (C/Colon)
3. SIGLO XXI (Plaza ABC)
4. LA PODA DE LA BUGANVILLA (Avda. San Lorezno)
5. FUNDACION ANTONIA GUERRERO (C/Nuestra Senora de los Remedios)
6. REGANDO EL JARDIN (Avda. Andalucia)
7. ALMAS DEL MAR (Prolongacion Avda. San Lorenzo)
8. ALMAS DE MUSICA (Plaza San Frenando)
9. LA HUERTA DE IRENE (Avda. Andalucia)
10. TIEMPOS DE CLARIDAD (Avda. Andalucia)
11. PASEN Y VEAN (C/Goya)
12. MADRE AMOROSA Y LA MIRADA DE UN NINO (C/Terraza)
Selwo Aventura is a unique wildlife adventure park located near Estepona, Spain. It boasts more than 200 exotic animal species from every continent. Two thousand semi-free roaming animals live on the area of more than 100 hectares!
Selwo Aventura offers a number of attractions. Cross 65-meter long hanging bridge, and then zip-line over the moneky-island lake. Enjoy a walk in the Europe’s largest aviary with 1000 birds of endangered and rare species living in an enclosed valley. Observe at close range zebras, giraffes, rhinos or hipos living in conditions similar to those of their natural habitat.
Parrots in Selwo
Zebras in Selwo Aventura
Enter the Madagascar Territory and personally greet the cute family of ring-tailed lemurs that just love being active. Say ‘Hi’ to the mighty lion, king of all animals.
Selwo Aventura prepared some fun activities for kids as well: face painting, camel ride, falconry show, snakes exhibition, safari ride and a plenty of opportunities to interact with and fed many different animals. Go to Estepona and spend a whole day exploring the most popular Costa Del Sol theme park!
Great sunny weather more than 300 days a year. Fantastic sunrises over the Mediterranean nearly everyday. Wide range of excellent seafront hotels and apartments. Plenty of different bars, restaurants, snack bars as well as different recreational options. Good beach amenities. Lots of golf courses around. Good public transport. No wonder the beaches on Costa del Sol are a magnet for British holidaymakers and expats. Have a look at our list of the best beaches on the Spanish Coast of the Sun, from east to west.
Popular beaches on Spanish Costa del Sol
1. Playa del Cañuelo in Nerja – a real gem on Costa del Sol. This spectacular beach is located within the protected area of the national parkland which means you need to walk for about 1,5 km to reach the beach. Alternatively, in the season, you can take a ride down to the beach in a small shuttle bus. The beach boasts beautiful crystal clear water, great for snorkelling. There are some wonderful rocks scattered throughout the beach as well.
Playa del Cañuelo in Nerja
2. Rincon de la Victoria beach near Malaga – located in a coastal village only 12km east of Malaga. This beautiful wide sandy beach is loved by the locals. The beach boasts a lively sea promenade with some great bars and restaurants. On the minus side, Rincon de la Victoria beach tends to get very busy in July and August.
3. Misericordia beach in Malaga – one the nicest beach in the capital of Costa del Sol, 2 km long and 30 metres wide. Located on the southern outskirts of the city. Very wide beach with lots of parking space. Never overcrowded. There is a distinctive tall 19th chimney clearly seen from the beach.
4. Playa de la Playamar beach in Torremolinos – located only 7 kilometres west of Malaga Airport. Vast beach with plenty of quiet spots, however tends to get a bit crowdy during summer weekends. Kept in excellent conditions. Beautiful clean sand. Some great swimming spots.
6. Torre Bermeja beach in Benalmadena – wide and clean 700 metre long beach where you can enjoy sun all day long. Torre Bermeja regularly cleaned. The sand is darkish. Beach goers can rent sunbeds, umbrellas, boats, jet skis. There is a beach football and volleyball pitches prepared as well. In addition to that Torre Bermeja boasts some nice bars and restaurants.
7. Puerto Banús beach near Marbella – best beach in Puerto Banus, Marbella. Well taken care of, long, wide and family friendly. Within walking distance from the beach you will find some fantastic restaurants, bars as well as designer boutiques and jewellery shops.
8. Playa del Cristo in Estepona – located near the centre of Estepona. Unlike nearly all the beaches on the Costa del Sol that face east and south, El Cristo looks more to the west allowing for more sunshine in the evening hours. Playa del Cristo boasts mesmerizing sunsets and shallow water which is simply perfect for kids. It’s well protected from the wind as well. El Cristo would be a perfect beach were it not for it’s small size and low quality parking.