Sitio de Calahonda is a small popular tourist resort located along the coastal road from Marbella to Fuengirola. Calahonda is full of British and German tourists seeking excellent beaches, golf courses and active holidays.
The quiet Puerto Cabopino is a popular attraction in Sitio de Calahonda. It’s one of the most beautiful marinas on Costa del Sol. The nearby blue flag sandy Cabopino beach is one the most picturesque beaches on Costa del Sol. It’s a perfect family beach with many waterfront restaurants.
Tennis courts, squash courts, padel courts, lawn bowls, swimming pools. Calahonda is also an ideal destination for active holidays as well. Within a short distance from the resort there are some great golf courses including Miraflores Golf Club, Calanova Golf Club,or Club del Golf el Chaparral.
Sitio de Calahonda is full of pine trees which add to the town’s charm and provide plenty of shade on sunny days.
Kitesurfing is a high adrenaline sport that is becoming increasingly popular all over the world. More and more young people take up kitesurfing because it’s actually quite simple to learn, much easier than windsurfing for example, and does not require a great level of fitness.
Spanish Costa de la Luz is a top destination for kitesurfers from all over the Europe, all year round. The best kitesurfing season on Costa de la Luz is June, July, August, September and October.
The amazing beaches of Tarifa, which look as if custom-made for kitesurfing, have become the most popular spot for kitesurfers. With around 30 kitesurfing schools, plenty of sports shops where you can buy all the equipment and outfits for kitesurfing, windsurfing and surfing, Tarifa has recently turned into a real international water sports centre.
Best kitesurfing destinations on Costa de la Luz
1. TARIFA – the Surfing Capital of Europe or the Wind Capital of Europe as it is called, provides some of the best conditions for kitesurfing in the world, best beaches: Los Lances and the Valdevaqeuros beach
2. BARBATE – Los Canos de Meca west of Barbate is the most popular beach there
3. CHICLANA south of Cadiz – two recommended spots: Playa De Sancti-Petri, Playa de la Barrosa
4. PUERTO DE SANTA MARIA north of Cadiz – Fuentebravia beach
Costa del Sol tends to be underestimated when it comes to kitesurfing, because the conditions are not as reliable as on the Atlantic coast between Tarifa and Cadiz, but there are some really good spots there as well.
Popular kitesurfing spots on Costa del Sol
1. MALAGA – the best conditions can be found at Malagueta beach
2. TORREMOLINOS – Playamar and Los Alamos, which is the official kite zone, are the best sports there
3. CABO PINO located between Malaga and Marbella – local beach
4. ELVIRIA near Marbella – local beach
5. ESTEPONA – La Rada beach is quite popular among kitesurfers
In general, there are three very popular kitesurfing regions in Europe: the Spanish-Portuguese coast starting in Tarifa and ending in Lisbon, the Atlantic coast in French Aquitaine and the Basque Country and, thirdly, Cornwall, the westernmost part of Great Britain. Have a look at our ranking of the best kitesurfing destinations in Europe.
Best kitesurfing spots in Europe
1. VALDERVAQUEROS BEACH & LOS LANCES BEACH, TARIFA IN SPAIN
2. THE BUBBLE SURF REEF, FUERTEVENTURA IN CANARY ISLANDS
3. FISTRAL BEACH, NEWQUAY, CORNWALL IN ENGLAND
4. WATERGATE BAY, NEAR NEWQUAY, CORNWALL IN ENGLAND
5. HOSSGOR IN SOUTH-WEST FRANCE
6. CARRAPATEIRA, SOUTH PORTUGAL COAST
7. PEDRA BRANCA ERICEIRA, WEST PORTUGAL COAST
8. LES CAVALIERS BEACH, ANGLET IN SOUTH WEST FRANCE